Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tribute to stuff that was formerly superfluous





Seems like if you want to make money, you come up with a product for babies and convince parents they're scum if they don't buy it for their perfect little creations.  Create a need where there is none. The key is the guilt factor - parents are derelict if they don't buy your products, and their children will suffer because of parent's selfishness.  For details about this process, refer to Hallmark's creation of Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and a variety of others.

I mean, you have Boppies and Bumpies and Bjorns and wipe warmers - really?  Seriously?  The resounding answer is... YES! I still think Valentine's Day is a crock, but I feel the need to pay homage to the products I used to mock.  

God bless the baby swing with 18 swing modes and white noise options.  Praise the Boppy for its single but useful purpose.  Thank heaven and earth for the dual action, variable speed and power breast pump.  

Anyone out there thinking of launching an infant scalp stimulator or a virtual reality set for babies, call me for testing.  I'm on board.  The instant sleeperizer? Sign me up.  How 'bout an umbilical stump conditioner or a cry interpreter?  Get to work, inventors and marketers - not nearly enough products for kids out there.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Craig! This is Melanie. I totally agree, and I'm a sucker for all of it! I have to say though, that even though the Boppy has one purpose, it's a LIFESAVER for someone who's had a C-section. I have no idea how I would have done it otherwise.

    Congratulations on your son's birth! He's darling!

    ReplyDelete